- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt; set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Add milk and egg yolks to flour mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Add oil and vanilla to batter and mix well.
- Fold egg whites into the batter. Pour batter onto waffle maker. Bake until waffles are golden brown.
- Cut waffles in half. Spread 2 tablespoons peanut butter on half of each waffle.
- Place banana slices on top of peanut butter. Top with remaining waffle halves.
6Test Kitchen Tips:
Homemade waffle batter may take longer to cook than packaged pancake and waffle mix. The packaged mix waffles are done in about 5 minutes. Made from scratch recipes take a few minutes more.
The Belgian waffle grid holds more batter than a traditional grid. These recipes give a range of batter to use, for example, 2/3 to 3/4 cup. The larger amount should be used for a Belgian waffle grid.
Waffles can be frozen and then reheated. Make a large batch ahead of time and let cool on a cooling rack. Freeze in airtight storage bags then heat in an oven or microwave.